Monday, September 5, 2011

First Project Complete and Displayed!

We have finished our first two weeks of school here in Fauquier County, Virginia. Our first week was interrupted by a little 5.8 earthquake and our first weekend was filled with wind and rain from Hurricane Irene! I borrowed a great first day project from Natalie at smART Class.
Every student created a monochromatic self portrait on a 4x6 index card. Students received thick markers, thin markers, colored pencils, regular crayons, and construction paper crayons all in different shades of the color of their tables.
I usually do not have any artwork ready to hang in time for back-to-school night because first we decorate our portfolios and next we create artwork for the Original Works fundraiser. Who says the portfolio has to be the first thing we do??
Here is is in the hallway - I made sure it was done before I left on Friday and luckily as each panel went up there was a helper walking by!






I think the green section is my favorite!

The border is 4 inch pieces of construction paper to reinforce the color shift and brings it all together. I look forward to seeing students finding themselves and showing their parents. Hopefully it will live through bus call though!

I put all the cards on butcher paper - I used up about 3 rolls of double stick tape using on e of my favorite tools in the art room - the Scotch ATG 700. I purchased mine through our school's Kurtz Bros account. It is awesome for mounting anything! I use it when getting ready for our yearly county art show.
Adhesive Transfer Tape Applicator

3 comments (+add yours?)

Mrs. Hahn said...

Wow! That looks great! We start school tomorrow. You're way ahead of me!

Phyl said...

I've been seeing this project posted and the results look great. Do the kids who get the yellow materials get frustrated by the limitations?

Meanwhile -I'm back to school tomorrow but the kids don't start till Thursday. Not thrilled about tomorrow - a FULL DAY PROGRAM on bullying. I don't sit still well so I'm panicking......

Jacquelien said...

So great! That would be nice to do with our students too for the first art show.

Post a Comment